thanks very much for the additional information, Teena.

I'm obviously no expert in Italian Renn; I am just a fan, 8-).  I didn't
realize that the first pattern was for the undergown of the more well-known (to
amateurs, apparently) giornea ensemble.  I MIGHT have picked that up if the
pattern company drawings were not quite so simplified, or if I'd read the
accompanying text more closely.

You're right, my husband was right, I'm a dunce, 8-), and, unfortunately, all
too often a loud-mouthed one also!

cheers,
chimene