Hello Susan,
I've sent a reply to the list, but it hasn't appeared yet, so I'll copy it below.
Catherine.

On 18/12/2015 05:10, Susan wrote:
Hi all,
I'm still here. I get fed up with facebook, and rarely with email lists, so happy to see people.

Since you're all here ... I've just gotten interested in english smocks (18th - 19th c ones) and was debating making one. I've requested a bunch of books from the library, and this question might be answered in one of them. But ...

Did women wear the traditional smocks?  in any era?

thanks, Susan c (in seattle)

I have the Shire book by Alice Armes, "English Smocks", (9th ed., Dryad
Press Ltd., London, 1987).  The section on the history of the English
smock only refers to men wearing smocks, but there is a later section on
the trade emblems embroidered on the smocks includes:  "Milkmaids -
churns, butter pats, hearts, etc.".  An embroidery pattern included with
the book is for these symbols.

It also says that:  "Elaborately decorated smocks were not produced
before the middle of the eighteenth century, and they reached their
greatest perfection in the early part of the nineteenth century." Two of
the illustrations are photographs of smocks in the Victoria and Albert
Museum, so their site could be worth a search; others are from county
museums, such as the Castle Museum, Nottingham.

Catherine.