The two books are good ones, I have them both.

1887 I suspect even the 15 year old and the 19 year old would wear a
small "Traveling bustle". I have a brown "Traveling suit" from the 1880's
made of a rust brown very heavy faille taffeta, relatively simple in
terms of embellishment with matching color velvet collar, wide cuffs and
a matching velvet placket on both sides of the front (this was sometimes
called a "military style").  Dark glass buttons--medium large.  Every
part of hte bodice and skirt is lined in somewhat heavier fabric.  It has
the extra gathering in the back that meant a bustle would have been worn,
or could be taken off for the actual train trip and replaced once at the
destination?

 I'll look through my photos and see what I can find.

Interesting search.

Lisa Ashton
Miss Lizzy's Traveling Historical Fashion Show

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 21:37:57 +1300 michaela de bruce
<michaela.de.br...@gmail.com> writes:
> I know I have a number of group photos from the 1880s, but they are
> obviously dressed for the photos.
> http://store.doverpublications.com/0486265331.html I think may be
> one of
> the books, the other was a huge tome, green cover, just trying to
> remember
> the name.

https://books.google.co.nz/books/about/Dressed_for_the_Photographer.html?
id=8vkzLIrwUXYC&redir_esc=y