I think that project.module could be modified to do this. Since I'm the
one that just played with it to create helpdesk.module I'm volunteering
take on action.module since media is stalled.

>>>GREAT!

I am unsure what "linking to the Get Local tools" means. Does this mean
Get Local tools are going to continute to exist on DFA but that they
want
them integrated with DeanSpace or just that we want Get Local
functionality? The ultimate goal I think, needs to be people *using* the
tools. I have a Meetup listed in the Get Local tools and I know it's an
undercount simple because people won't go there to sign up.

>>>YEAH! Yes, we do want to continue to use GET LOCAL--and our focus in
the next months is making it work as well as possible. We're hiring
someone just to focus on the GET LOCAL improvements. Right now we're
working on fixing about 20 things about it to make it more usable (and
right now over 400 events/mo are on Get Local, so they are getting
used--just not for Meetup).

Also, action.module will be able to do more than what get local does.
Plus, I'm not sure action.module could replace get local without every
county immediately establishing a site... So I've answered my own
question
- in technical terms, right now at least, action.module isn't going to
replace Get Local.

>>>Right

Though we do need a way to interact with Get Local. (Note to people
working on profile modifications - make zip code mandatory.)

>>> here's where we're going to get a feed from the Get Local tools to a
boz that the modules can pull from, by zip or other criteria.

So here's a question, now that I've shared my though process with you
and
this is mostly directed towards Zephyr: do we need an action module
(that
can do more than get local but can't replace it) or a get local
interaction module first? I hazard a guess that Get Local is most
important, but it is also going to require that get local somehow
syndicates or makes publically available its information, which is
something I don't have any control over...

>>I think I answered this now -- does it make sense? We need a Get Local
interaction module. We will make it public -- it's the top priority for
us when we finalize a contract to make modifications.

Thanks so much!

~Alison

> Hey all!
>
> From DFA's perspective, we're interested in getting this kit out as
soon
> as possible -- and for a bunch of reasons, we don't think we can push
> DMT. (Most of them, but not all, are legal, fwiw, but as such critical
> to our lawyer's ok and getting this out the door.) If anyone has any
> questions about this, feel free to get in touch with me offline.
>
> So for the kits that we push, at least, whether or not we suggest a
link
> to DMT, we've got to do a distributed system for the modules.
>
> Finally, I'd love to push the vanilla version as soon as possible - I
> don't want to push you guys, but I believe that the usability of the
kit
> depends on people using it, experimenting, telling us what works, and
> then improving it. Much more important than the media part is the
> section linking to the Get Local tools. It should be a simple module,
> but its critical to us that people use these tools to reach out in
their
> community.
>
> What's your collective sense of time frame?
>
> Thanks so much.

> The work DMT has done is fantastic, but, in brief, centralized nervous
> systems create a different set of responsibilities for the campaign.
In
> fact, just a few issues with the video production related to a
> centralized system can throw off our ability to connect to it at all.
We
> have to be cautious here -- I'm sorry if its tough.
>
> Zephyr Teachout
> Internet Organizing & Outreach
> Dean for America
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Meetup at http://www.deanforamerica.com/meetup
> Get local at http://action.deanforamerica.com
> Contribute at http://www.deanforamerica.com/contribute

Larry
> Lessig on these huge e-mail messages.  It might be impolite to ask
their
> opinion Without giving them the context of the discussion.
>
> (And for God's sake i finally had to fix the spelling in the subject.
> couldn't take it any more...)
>
> Anyway, i just wanted to address one thing for now --
>
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Zack Rosen wrote:
>> So either the media-network intelligence goes in the nodes of the
>> network, or it goes straight to the center of the Dean Media Team
>> mother-ship.
>
> A few times now you've talked about "having to get permission from
DMT"
> or being "controlled by DMT", and now the "DMT mother-ship".  It's
clear
> that you don't like the idea of someone else telling us what to do.
But

--
"...somebody came along and said liberal means soft on crime, soft on
drugs, soft on Communism, soft on defense. And we're going to tax you