On 6/25/06, Alon Altman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

   The linux day should not be about installing linux anymore. Installing
linux is trivial, and anyone with a basic background in computers can manage
this on her own.

I do not completely agree here. Installation help is important for the
simple reason of the fear factor. People want their helping hand.
However, I totally agree that the format of the linux day should be
extended.

The problem most people have is with configuration. The #1
problem is connecting to the Internet, a problem unsolved at all in the
linux day in its current format. The next slew of problems all need internet
access to be fixed.

I want to emphasize that this should not be the limitation - all sorts
of problems, hardware, software and networking alike, can be solved.
The following three forms of problems should be incorporated:

* Known-in-advance, massive (e.g. a known fix for USB ADSL modems)
* Planned ahead (person mails in about a problem he would like
personal assistance with)
* On-the-spot (person comes in with a problem, we do our best to help)

This actually DID happen... we just didn't announce it as such, and
didn't put enough emphasis on it.

Get Bezeq and
Hot to supply several (2-3 each) lines with ADSL/Cable connections for the
party. Ask people to bring their modems with them. Get Bezeq to sell
linux-compatible routers and network cards AT THE PARTY. Prepare CDs with
drivers for all ADSL and cable modems in circulation and cable scripts for
most ISPs (especially Bezeqint, Netvison, Actcom, and Technion). Have
additional stands with working internet connections for other configurations
and have gurus do the configurations quickly.

Hell yeah. I would like to add another related issue: Wifi. Have a
hotspot around, for both general-purpose usage and testing.
Preferably, have an additional, encrypted one around, for testing that
capability.

About the advertising issue, the linux day must be part of a greater
advertising campaign to increase awareness. It must be planned months ahead
of time, and the date MUST NOT BE CHANGED close to the event. If the set
date must be changed due to extreme circumstances, the event should be
cancelled and rescheduled several months later, as all the advertisment and
publicity should restart with the new date.

Definetely. I attribute much of the failure of this linux day to the
rushed advertising which was caused by the delay.

If we are already on the subject of format changes, I have another
suggestion: The delightful delicacies, fortune cookies of information,
tidbits of geekly pleasure we have all come to know and love as
LIGHTNING TALKS. Topics should be SIL, but lectures should be short
(under 30min, preferably actual lightning talk 5min). We should recall
that we are in the technion, and not pull back from giving
(extremely!) relevant lectures - ps/pdf conversion, where to get basic
development tools (build-essential, essentially), perhaps a primer on
LyX. This is not to say that more popular subjects should be avoided -
lectures on usage of wifi (with network-manager, preferably), The
Gimp, Thunderbird, etc., would be welcome. But don't let me do all of
the lectures... I had some much-appreciated help in the history
lecture, and I do think it's more interesting for people to hear from
multiple speakers.

A strong point I would like to emphasize is that this shouldn't be a
noob-only event, as this one was. It should cater to intermediate, and
perhaps even advanced users. I do believe we can do this without
hurting the novice users, seeing as we bring them up to speed rather
quickly.