On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, gabik wrote:

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:07:25 +0300
From: gabik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 'Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    'Eli Billauer' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    'Haifa Linux Club' <haifux@haifux.org>
Cc: 'Muli Ben-Yehuda' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 'boazg' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows in Haifux

Orna wrote:
As I see it, Haifux is not an "OS club". When the idea of having a lecture
about Windows drivers was brought up, I (and others)
objected for the same reason.

I was very surprised to read this and would like to comment.

First, I want to say that I do not feel that I have any right to tell you
how to run Haifux, since I did nothing till far to establish or contribute
to it. So I would only like to express my humble opinion on this, please. It
is my personal opinion of how Haifux++ can be better than Haifux.

Why free/not free, open source/not open source becomes a value by itself? Is
it really so important that you are not ready to hear (not use) an
interesting lecture about Windows? By turning it into a "moral" value, you
make Linux a religion, which I assume you don't want to do.

Is not it all about KNOWLEDGE?

I am personally VERY much interested in Windows drivers and would very much
like to hear such a lecture. AIX is goins without saying.
I also propose (just propose, please don't kill me) to turn Haifux into an
"OS club". This is how I considered it to be till now.

Hi Gabi,

Since you ARE in the academy, I suggest that if there is an interest for an OS club, you start it in the Technion - it is a great way to meet professionals.

Regarding the Windows drivers lecture - it was an idle discussion which ended in no decision, because the lecturer was not enthusiastic about giving the lecture at all.

Which brings me to why I object to Haifux being an Os club. From my experience, Linux people are more enthusiastic, more community oriented, and therefor more willing to contribute and volunteer. In FOSS there is more room for working together than in closed source. and the kinds of lectures we bring means the kind of people we draw.

Haifux is not just a stage for lectures, like an academic club. It is a social place where peers are met and projects (W2L, Hatzor, bidi, see more in the projects page) are built. And in a social club, the people's personality matters.

Orna.
--
Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda http://ladypine.org/
ICQ: 348759096