> AMD A6 3400 vs, the Intel i5-2430
>

> Well, The Toshiba is quad core @ 2.3 / 1.4GHz. 4MB cache (1MB per core) &
> Radeon 65xx series GPU. These tend to be pretty purdy, even my 5400 mobile
> GPU
> is quite nice.
>
> The ASUS is dual core, 4 threads per-core @2.4GHz & can turbo upto 3GHz.
> It
> even supports enhanced features (on-die AES crypto accellerator), carries
> 3MB
> cache (1.5M per core) & houses an nVidia GTX520M which are mouth watering.
>
> IMPO, i'd hit up the i5 (ASUS) - You will get far better load handling as
> you
> have more cache on this CPU as well as far better multi-threading
> per-core.
> Also, the ATI GPU (Toshiba) will most likely steal some of your RAM for
> the
> graphics. nVidia tend to ship theirs with it's own memory.
>
> Both these CPU's are rated 35W - so price-for-price, the i5 is more bang
> for
> your buck.
>

> happy hunting,
>
> Ian

Yes, on further inspection it (www.tomshardware.com has a benchmark of
some very similar kit) that the choice is between graphics and maths
capability. The greater CPU performance of the i5 is very tempting, and
the graphics capability is probably sufficient for what I want to do. I
think I've swung to the i5 now, but the Toshiba I linked to doesn't have
VGA out, so it'll have to be that CPU in a different box.

More searching required, I think.

Tim B.