Hello,

On 15 April 2018 at 21:53, Shawn Heisey <hapr...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> I'm working on making my application capable of handling service restarts on
> the back end with zero loss or interruption.  It runs on two servers behind
> haproxy.
>
> At application shutdown, I'm setting a flag that makes the healthcheck fail,
> and then keeping the application running for thirty seconds in order to
> finish up all requests that the server has already received.
>
> It seems that when haproxy's health check fails while a request is underway,
> the machine making the request will be sent a 502 response instead of the
> good response that the server WILL make. This is probably a good thing for
> haproxy to do in general, but in this case, I know that my application's
> shutdown hook *WILL* allow enough time for the request to finish before it
> forcibly halts the application.

You'll have to share you entire configuration for us to be able to
comment on the behavior.

Having said that, you'd be better off setting the server to
maintenance mode instead of letting the health check fail (via
webinterface or stats socket):

http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/1.5/configuration.html#9.2-set%20server

The upgrade to a more recent build is, thanks to Vincent's work, very
simple on debian and Ubuntu:
https://haproxy.debian.net

Cheers,
Lukas