Willy,

Am 09.01.19 um 15:22 schrieb Willy Tarreau:
>> Here's some more recent projects that probably grew up with GitHub. I
>> can't comment how they do the backports, though:
>>
>> https://github.com/nodejs/node/issues (has LTS / Edge)
>> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues (has stable / dev)
>> https://github.com/antirez/redis/issues
>> https://github.com/moby/moby/issues (tons of automation based on an
>> issue template)
>
> I only knew 3 of them by name and never used any ;-)
>
> Node is interesting here. the have tags per affected version. E.g.
> https://github.com/nodejs/node/issues/25221

Yes, that definitely makes sense.

> I tend to think that if labels already mark the relevance to a branch,
> then they override the status and probably we don't really care about
> the status. The "moby" project above does that by the way, with
> "status/foo" labels. We could possibly have had "v1.8-open" and
> "v1.8x-done". This way instead of searching by status users can
> search by clicking on the labels. I could just be missing something.

When should the binary "issue open" / "issue closed" property be
toggled? When the issue is fixed in Dev? When the issue is fixed in the
lowest affected version?

Both is not ideal, I guess. Maybe we need to automatically create follow
up issues for the various branches once the fix lands in dev:

1. User creates issue #123.

> Subject: If I foo then haproxy replies with bar instead of baz
>
> If I foo then haproxy replies with bar and this is very bad!

2. Developer fixes the issue in dev, noting the branches to backport in
the commit message. Ideal in a machine-parseable format (Backport-To: 1.8)

> BUG/MINOR: foo: Make haproxy reply with baz
>
> This fixes issue #123.
>
> Backport-To: 1.8
> Backport-To: 1.7

3. A bot automatically creates follow-up issues for each noted branch
referring to the initial issue, stating that a backport is needed:

> Subject: Backport 1.7: If I foo then haproxy replies with bar instead
of baz

> This is a follow-up issue, because #123 is not yet fixed for haproxy 1.7.

4. Developer backports the commit, closing the follow-up issues whenever
he did so (this probably can be automated as well. If a Backport-To: 1.7
line appears in the 1.7 branch the matching issue will be closed).

Best regards
Tim Düsterhus