I have modified the configuration as follows

frontend fe_WebLogic
        bind *:8854
        mode http
        option  httplog
        option http_proxy
        option forwardfor header X-Real-IP
        default_backend be_Weblogic

backend be_Weblogic
        mode http
        option httpchk OPTIONS /
        cookie SERVERID insert indirect nocache
        stick on cookie(SERVERID)
        balance roundrobin
        server aps0n1_BTSN 192.168.1.134:7779 weight 1 check cookie s1 port
7779 inter 20s
        server aps0n2_BTSN 192.168.1.135:7779 weight 1 check cookie s2 port
7779 inter 20s

I tried the following, however I am still having the same issue

I don't think configuring the Weblogic server to send a cookie in the HTTP
Response header and using res.cook would make a difference, because as we are
using Java Web Start as the client (no web browser), it ignores any cookies
sent to it, so the next request it will make will be without the cookie in the
request.

I will look at the documentation regarding LUA.

Any other ideas on how I can handle this? One thought I had as we have Nginx
install as a frontend for SSL termination, I could send the SSL Session ID in
the header and using this to "stick" each session to a particular backend.

Kind Regards,

N Mihelioudakis