Martin,

as the one of the most interested in ARM64 builds, I've got news for you

can you try

travis_wait 30 bash -c 'scripts/build-ssl.sh >build-ssl.log 2>&1' || (cat
build-ssl.log && exit 1)

in travis ? (please not "travis_wait 30" instead of "travis_wait")

also, it might be important to clear travis cache from time to time.
as for myself, "travis_wait 30" helped me to resolve similar issue on
another project (in my own fork haproxy on arm64 builds just fine)