I would suggest using HOMEBREW_NO_AUTO_UPDATE environment variable to avoid
Brew auto-updating where it’s not really needed, for instance as in:

HOMEBREW_NO_AUTO_UPDATE=1 brew install socat

If that doesn’t work (but I think it should), pinning will cause none of
dependancies to be installed automatically and only through manual install:

brew list | xargs brew pin
brew install socat

--
Dinko Korunic                   ** Standard disclaimer applies **
Sent from OSF1 osf1v4b V4.0 564 alpha