Hi Miroslav!

On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 01:12:19PM +0200, Miroslav Zagorac wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am sending you a set of patches that return the ability to use
> haproxy variables to transfer opentracing context.

Thanks. I'm having just a few minor questions (and I'll eventually
complete the info myself before applying if needed).

> 01 Revert "MINOR: opentracing: change the scope of the variable 'ot.uuid'
> from 'sess' to 'txn'"

Is this preparatory for this series or was this an oversight or bug,
that will require to be backported ? (and if so, to which version?).

> 02 MINOR: opentracing: only takes the variables lock on shared entries
> 03 CLEANUP: opentracing: removed unused function flt_ot_var_unset()
> 04 CLEANUP: opentracing: removed unused function flt_ot_var_get()
> 05 CLEANUP: opentracing: added flt_ot_smp_init() function
> 06 BUG/MINOR: opentracing: setting the return value in function
> flt_ot_var_set()

It seems to me from this one's description that it will need to be
backported, if so could you please tell me what version ?

> 07 CLEANUP: opentracing: added variable to store variable length
> 08 DOC: opentracing: corrected comments in function descriptions

Does the doc ned to be backported as well ?

> 09 MINOR: opentracing: improved normalization of context variable names
> 10 DEBUG: opentracing: show return values of all functions in the debug
> output
> 11 CLEANUP: opentracing: added FLT_OT_PARSE_INVALID_enum enum
> 12 DEBUG: opentracing: display the contents of the err variable after
> setting
> 13 EXAMPLES: opentracing: refined shell scripts for testing filter
> performance
> 14 MAJOR: opentracing: reenable usage of vars to transmit opentracing
> context

The description on this one sounds good and the fact that you managed to
double its speed is an excellent indication that the design is indeed
much cleaner!

> 15 Revert "BUILD: opentracing: display warning in case of using OT_USE_VARS
> at compile time"
> 16 BUG/BUILD: opentracing: fixed OT_DEFINE variable setting

It looks like we need to backport this one as well?

On a related note, I've just discovered this that you might be interested
in:

   https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy/issues/1640

The reporter mentions that apparently OT is becoming deprecated. If you
find some info about this and if it can affect our users (depending on
how long it will take before being unsupported if at all), possibly that
we should think about a startup warning or something like this. I do
not know what it implies for it to become deprecated, if all of its
components are available in LTS distros, users will not care. The problem
is more if users have to download components from sites that risk stop
providing them.

Thanks!