On 07.04.2022 18:27, Willy Tarreau wrote:
Hi Miroslav!

Hello Willi,

at first I would generally say that I did not think that some of these
patches could be backported to older versions of haproxy.  I will look
at what can be applied to older versions and send group patches for
each of them to the mailing list tomorrow (one tar file per version).

On a related note, I've just discovered this that you might be interested
in:

    https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy/issues/1640

The reporter mentions that apparently OT is becoming deprecated. If you
find some info about this and if it can affect our users (depending on
how long it will take before being unsupported if at all), possibly that
we should think about a startup warning or something like this. I do
not know what it implies for it to become deprecated, if all of its
components are available in LTS distros, users will not care. The problem
is more if users have to download components from sites that risk stop
providing them.

Yes, i saw that.. after the opentracing filter in haproxy was implemented i looked at what should be done to add support for opentelemetry.

Unfortunately, although this is an upgrade of the existing telemetry
system, the API for use is not compatible.

To begin with, it is necessary to write a C wrapper for
opentelemetry-cpp, which will take considerable time.  Then it is
necessary to write a new haproxy filter (or redesign the existing
one so that it can use both API).

This is the github repository of opentelemetry API for C++:
  https://github.com/open-telemetry/opentelemetry-cpp

As for opentracing, I think it will be supported for some time because
opentelemetry is a relatively new standard and it is not designed to be
a replacement for opentracing without a change in client software.  For
new development it is recommended to use opentelemetry.

I hope I have answered at least some of the questions in some useful
way.  :)

Best regards,

--
Miroslav Zagorac