On 08.04.2022 15:47, Willy Tarreau wrote:
Thanks, but now I'm having further questions:

- 0006-BUG-MINOR-opentracing-setting-the-return-value-in-fu.patch
- 0016-BUG-BUILD-opentracing-fixed-OT_DEFINE-variable-setti.patch
   =>  these ones are bug fixes that are independent on the series, and
      I verified that they could apply fine before the rest. Do you
      mind if I do it ? We always want to include fixes before the
      rest so that bisection is more accurate.

I don't have any problems with that.

- 0013-EXAMPLES-opentracing-refined-shell-scripts-for-testi.patch
   =>  same for this one, I'd put it just after the two fixes above.

The same here.

- 0008-DOC-opentracing-corrected-comments-in-function-descr.patch
   =>  this one, among other things, fixes the description of function
      flt_ot_smp_init() that was added as part of the series, so at
      last this part of the fix should be merged with the patch that
      introduced the function (no need to integrate an incorrect
      patch and fix it later), and the rest are fixes for the past
      so I could put it earlier in the stack, with the fixes.

Also, I agree.

- 0014-MAJOR-opentracing-reenable-usage-of-vars-to-transmit.patch
   =>  while I'm fine for 2.6, I'm really not for 2.5 without a big
      compelling reason. It's a feature addition, not a bug fix.
      Either there are currently no opentracing users in 2.5 due to
      this problem and this will serve nobody, or there are and there
      is a significant risk of breaking something for them, which would
      possibly encourage them to revert an update and keep other unrelated
      bugs. Thus is it absolutely mandatory that we backport this to 2.5 ?
      For example, is it currently working so bad that users complain and
      that it prevents them from upgrading from 2.4 to 2.5 ? That's the
      type of situation that can justify a backport of such a patch.

In my opinion this is not a feature addition but a restore of functionality that was temporarily disabled due to a change in working with variables (i.e. saving a hash instead of a name).

This should not bring any drawback to the users as this functionality has not worked so far in the 2.5 branch and if not used in the configuration it does not change anything.

Maybe some user used this functionality in version 2.4 and it prevented him from switching to version 2.5 because it doesn't work there?

Please do not send me another series and just let me know your opinion
about the points above, I'd like to issue 2.6-dev5 right now, ideally
with these patches, and do not want to iterate through yet another
series.

Ok.

Regarding the 2.4 series, I'm seeing 5 cleanup patches, but I haven't
checked if they were needed or not. Normally we do not backport code
cleanups in stable branches unless they are tiny, riskless and help to
get other patches backported by providing the required patch context.
One of the reasons is that some users have patches on top of these
branches and applying cleanups that are not necessary sometimes causes
them trouble to re-apply their local patches. It's unlikely that users
have patched opentracing but that's a general rule, I think you get the
idea.

These cleanup patches are not necessary for functionality, so you don't have to apply them.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

--
Miroslav Zagorac