Hi Johannes,

On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 02:08:09PM +0000, Bitsch, Johannes (external - Project)
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I created a feature request on github about supporting arbitrary PROXY
> protocol v2 TLVs in haproxy a few weeks ago[1].
>
> Since I haven't received any feedback or reactions on it so far, I was
> wondering if this was the right place to discuss something like this.
> Is there a better place to have a discussion about it, e.g. on this mailing
> list or somewhere else? If you could point me to the best way to do this, I'd
> be happy to switch.

Well, I'd say that the mailing list is more suitable to design discussions
and the issue tracker is best suited to track what remains to be done. The
issue tracker by nature is used as a high frequency context-switch, and is
essentially used to ask for more info about a reported bug, but it is also
used as a todo list. It just happens that you started the discussion in the
middle of the release cycle and that unfortunately that's the worst moment
to get anyone's attention, and it's not guaranteed that you would have had
more responses on the ML at this period :-)

> I'll avoid duplicating the request here for now but will happily copy/paste
> it in here if that's easier for someone.

I've had a quick look, but it's difficult to have an opinion. The main
concerns of capturing TLV values during parsing are technical ones, mostly
the impacts on memory usage. You seem to have worked out a patch already to
do this, so it would be more convenient to discuss the possibilities around
your existing patch; it wouldn't make sense to have to redo all the analysis
you've already done, and if someone would propose a patch doing the same as
you did, it wouldn't be very kind for your existing work.

Would you mind sharing your patch here for a discussion or review ?

Thanks,