On 5/15/06, Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Doesn't opensource+proprietary=proprietary?

Hi Kevin-

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Surely you aren't suggesting that because certain interfaces provided by 3rd party software vendors are proprietary, that the entire solution is thus proprietary?  Does that mean when an Oracle RDBMS is running on Linux, the entire solution "=proprietary"?

The customer had requirements for some interfaces that were not available in any distribution of VistA.  Two vendors provided interfaces that met the requirements of the customer.  Those vendors are in the business of supporting VistA and other similar systems and thus sell those interfaces.  These vendors (who, by the way, were wonderful to work with) should not be slighted because they choose to market and support commercial software.

- Ben