To realize just how stupid the DMCA is, buy using a green marker on certain copy-protected CDs to play properly, you are breaking the law.

From: "Neil Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'The Hardware List'" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: RE: [H] Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. et al. v. Grokster, Ltd.,et al.
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 20:04:45 +0100

I'll put in a lame 'me too' on that opinion :)

>From what I've heard I'm a little more fortunate as I'm in the UK and the
recording/movie industry isn't quite as controlling. For instance I've not
paid full price for a CD or DVD for years. Most of my purchases are from
online vendors offering up to 40% reductions on the recommended prices.
Pretty much the rest of my media purchases is from stored doing special
offers or multi-buy offers (these are incidentally paid for by either the
distributor or record company - that's why record stores have almost
identical titles for very similar prices).

I don't have a problem with buying things, I just have a problem with
companies jumping all over my fair use rights. I only have one set of eyes
and ears, even if I make a *personal* copy of a disk, I can only use one
copy at a time.

It also p*sses me off that many copy protected disks do not work in my car
CD player (The VW Golf head unit is strict Red Book and is well known for
it's hatred of non standard disks :)