Understood that a fresh install will align everything for the fastest performance. However, Windows here just made sure that it loaded everything from the old drive. For some reason, it never bothered trying to load Windows from the SSD.

On 5/17/2013 9:06 PM, Dave Gibney wrote:
My laptop drive was giving me signs of eminent failure. I has a local guy
install a SAMSUG SSD and clone to it. It worked, but I wasn't happy with all
the results.
The next weekend, I did a fresh install Win-7 Ultimate, Office 2010, etc.
Cycling through all the updates and getting the drivers up to date took a
while, but no real problems.

It is much faster on boot and the quiet is scary :)

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Steve
Tomporowski
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 5:48 PM
To: hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] The SSD and how Windows can make your life miserable

Last weekend I cloned my main drive over to an SSD and then booted. Some
things looked faster, but I wasn't blown away by the speed.  I have found
out why.  It began on Patch Tuesday.  4 of 6 patches failed.
Windows update threw some errors, but as I had a design review coming up at
work, I was too buys obsessing about that to work on it.  Today, a day off!
I decided to look into the errors. Ran update again, same problems.
Searching on the errors, it seemed to indicate that Update has a problem
when you move stuff from C: somewhere else, like when you install an SSD.
The only thing I really fudged with there is that I moved the Temp and Tmp
folders. I moved them back, same problem.  I wondered if I didn't do
something else and forgot about it.  Back to System and Advanced Settings.
This time I looked a the lower half of the window.  Half of my windows
variables were pointing to my old boot drive which is now E: !  When I
booted to the SSD the first time, I kept the old boot drive in the system,
just changed the boot order in the BIOS. Wrong!  Windows apparently got
confused and I ended up with a mishmash.  My %systemroot% was now E instead
of C!

Just a word of caution.  Going to clone the drive again (it wouldn't boot
properly on it's own) and this time remove the old drive. Well, that's how
ya learn....

Steve