At 04:32 PM 05/10/2014, Winterlight wrote:

I doubt that your conclusion has been reached after having done any in the lab testing as did PCWorld and Maximum PC.

Of course, my conclusion hasn't been affected by advertising dollars from MS, either. You can believe whatever you want. I work with actual computers and empirically, the 8 machines are slower. At some point, when I have some time, I'll run some tests, because I don't understand this discrepancy either.

Odd problems and issues... you mean a learning curve that end users just don't want to have to deal with. Yes, you have to learn new stuff to move forward, learning new ways is often annoying, and painful.

No, I mean the 8.1 update fails significantly more often than the Win7 SP1 update or the XP services packs. Even the Vista service packs, which were fraught with problems, were more reliable. I also notice major performance issues that can only resolved with SFC and DISM cleanups. We don't see that in XP or 7 - yes, it happens in Vista occasionally, but even Vista is more reliable.

Learning something new isn't an issue for me, or I wouldn't be in this industry. Of course, I prefer to learn something new when I gain something - the best OS interface is invisible, and the 2K/XP/Vista/7 interface was pretty close to that.