Sven Panne wrote:
On Sunday 09 September 2007 18:41, Andrew Coppin wrote:
Oh goodie... So it's there to keep the machines happy?

No, it's there to keep *me* happy when I'm looking for a module. ;-)

Well, there's over 200 modules relating to graph theory alone. (Modules that I will never ever need, since I don't even know what graph theory *is*...) There's also a few hundred OpenGL modules - which I won't be looking at unless I specifically want to do something with OpenGL... In summary, it's probably quicker to be able to just expand the ones I want to look at, rather than collapse the ones I don't want to look at. (Works for Windows Explorer and the file system, eh?)

I still fail to understand why you have to scroll or collapse manually, every browser I know of has a search facility. And there is the index page, where you have an incremental search facility even when your poor browser (guess which one I mean? :-) doesn't have it, at least when the index has been generated by a recent Haddock.

I dislike searches. When all the categories are collapsed, they fit onto a single page. The hierachy is sufficiently shallow that from there you can instantly get to any module. And if you can't remember the exact name of the module, searches are useless but you can probably find it visually in a few clicks.

OTOH, I recently discovered that GHCi has the ability to show you what's defined in a given module without me having to wait 40 seconds for Firefox to start... Shame you can't scroll its output. (And still no help if you're not sure of the module name.)

If you're really stuck, there's always Hoogle. Assuming you can guess either the likely function name or the correct order and type of its arguments... (And on occasion it has a habit of not showing the function you're looking for, or just showing it very far down the list, even though the type signature *exactly* matches what you typed... but usually it's quite good.)