On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 05:38:03PM +0200, Sven Panne wrote:
> On Sunday 09 September 2007 16:40, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> > I have the following page bookmarked:
> >
> >   http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/
> >
> > I'd like to ask 2 things.
> >
> > 1. Would it be possible to make the *huge* list of package names at the
> > top collapsable? (That way I don't have to scroll through several pages
> > of uninteresting text to get to the bit I actually want.)
>
> What do you mean exactly with "the *huge* list of package names"? The
> description list with the short textual descriptions of each package?

It's about a fifth of the page, I think, and it'll get larger
percentagewise as base breaks up more.

Also, on Debian systems, we add all installed libraries to this index,
so it gets even larger.

> I'd say
> that this list is highly interesting to people unfamiliar with the package
> structure, so it is good that it is there.

Is that really helpful? There isn't a mapping from package name to
modules, so I'm not sure what it buys you. I'm sure I've never looked at
it.

I'm interested in other opinions on this, as I planned to remove the
list from the Debian packages.

Would it be better to have a separate page with a package index,
containing the description of each package and a link to each of the
modules that it provides?

Thanks
Ian