"John A. De Goes" <j...@n-brain.net> writes:

> That's absurd. You have no way to access private source
> code, so any  decision on what features to exclude from
> future versions of Haskell  must necessarily look at
> publicly accessible source code.

This is all entirely beside the point. The question is not
whether n+k patterns should be in the language, it's whether
an implementation of Haskell 98 should include them.

> The only alternative is to continuously add, and never
> remove, features from Haskell, even if no one (that we
> know) uses them.

But we can remove them in future language versions. The
point I was trying to make at the beginning of this
subthread was that implementations should follow the
definition, because having a core language (Haskell 98) that
can be relied on is simpler and wastes less time than the
alternative.

--
Jón Fairbairn                                 jon.fairba...@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html  (updated 2009-01-31)