Pretty often while developing an application, I realize that some piece of
it would be better as an external library published to Hackage. But I don't
really know exactly what the interface will look like. I need a way to
iterate the package while I'm developing my application, without needing to
republish to hackage every time.

How do you handle this workflow?

I'd like to put it in its own project folder on my local filesystem, with
its own cabal and stack file. Then I want to have my application depend on
it. When I make a change to the lib, I want to be able to reload it into my
app quickly.

I attempted to do this by adding the folder to the packages: setting, but
it didn't work. See this stack overflow question for more
info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40003225/stack-how-to-depend-on-a-package-during-development