If only the one application is using it, then don't give it its own stack
file, just move it into your project folder. Stack is well designed to
handle "megarepos" with multiple packages under a single stack.yaml in this
manner.

project/
  stack.yaml
  lib1/
    lib1.cabal
  app1/
    app1.cabal

Stack should also handle things the way you're trying to do it, but I
personally have no experience doing it that way; perhaps someone else can
advise on that scenario.

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016, Sean Hess <seanh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pretty often while developing an application, I realize that some piece of
> it would be better as an external library published to Hackage. But I don't
> really know exactly what the interface will look like. I need a way to
> iterate the package while I'm developing my application, without needing to
> republish to hackage every time.
>
> How do you handle this workflow?
>
> I'd like to put it in its own project folder on my local filesystem, with
> its own cabal and stack file. Then I want to have my application depend on
> it. When I make a change to the lib, I want to be able to reload it into my
> app quickly.
>
> I attempted to do this by adding the folder to the packages: setting, but
> it didn't work. See this stack overflow question for more info:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40003225/stack-
> how-to-depend-on-a-package-during-development
>

> --
> msgid/haskell-stack/5db29a15-bc7b-48a4-93dd-86e51de9af48%
> 40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/haskell-stack/5db29a15-bc7b-48a4-93dd-86e51de9af48%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

-- Dan Burton