Hi Greg,

Thank you very much for your detailed response!

I have now generated a Movement_Regressors.mat file with the correct 24
parameters (6 rigid body, 6 derivatives, 6 rigid body squared, 6 derivatives
squared). As I didn't have code handy to run highpass filtering on the movement
regressors, I based this file on the detrended movement regressors; the HCP's
highpass filtering is described as "detrending-like", so this should
(hopefully) give approximately the same result. I also noticed an error in my
original highpass filtering of the fMRI data that accounts for part of the
difference I was seeing; the correct sigma is 1389, not 1000 (cutoff =
2*TR*sigma, so a TR of 0.72s and cutoff of 2000s requires a sigma of 1389; I
forgot to account for the TR in my original filtering). Between the two, I am
able to get much closer to matching the HCP's denoised data.

Regarding your second point, I think my setup is removing all of the variance
in the movement parameters, but not in the noise ICs. fsl_glm, which is how I
remove the movement parameters, appears to always do full regression. By
default, though, fsl_regfilt performs partial regression of the specified noise
ICs. But the difference regarding movement regression would definitely make a
difference and seems to be one thing that can't be matched using FSL only.

So yes, this was very informative! Thank you again for your help.
-Ely