I have "limited" (read "so far no") success in running heimdal with
the sqlite db backend.

I'm trying to get the sqlite backend to work lik this in
/etc/krb5.conf and /var/heimdal/kdc.conf:

[kadmin]
 database = {
    dbname = sqlite:/var/heimdal/heimdal.sqlite
    realm = TEST
 }
 require_preauth = true
[kdc]
 database = {
    dbname = sqlite:/var/heimdal/heimdal.sqlite
    realm = TEST
 }
 require_preauth = true

Which resulted in a file named /var/heimdal/heimdal.sqlite that looks
like an sqlite database and an error when doing the init with kadmin -l:

# kadmin -l
kadmin> init TEST
kadmin: hdb_open: dbopen (/var/heimdal/heimdal): Inappropriate file type or
format
kadmin>

So somethiung I'm missing here, help or pointers to documentation how
to set this up appreciated.

Or what alternate backend do think is solid and stable and why? ;-)
I am not planning to use ldap =;-)

Harald.