On 24.07.2017 19:40, Roland C. Dowdeswell wrote:
On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 08:23:52AM +0300, Heikki Lindholm wrote:

The Heimdal version identifies itself as 1.5.2. The main problem is that
Heimdal doesn't appear to use /etc/hosts for looking up the KDC's IP
address, but goes to DNS, and fails.

1.5.2 is quite old and, IIRC, I've seen this before.  You can work
around it by adding the kdc name with a dot at the end as an alias in
the hosts file.

Thank you very much. That trick did it. It's weird, though. I would have likely never arrived at the same solution by myself.

FreeBSD appears unwilling to update the base system heimdal as it has been the same for several releases already. I have no idea why.