On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 09:47:18AM +0300, Heikki Lindholm wrote:

> Thank you very much. That trick did it. It's weird, though. I would have
> likely never arrived at the same solution by myself.

I'll second the thanks, as I've run into this same issue many times
(and usually ended up just reverting to MIT kerberos, which I know better).

> FreeBSD appears unwilling to update the base system heimdal as it has
> been the same for several releases already. I have no idea why.

It is relatively recent that there was a newer actual heimdal release
that FreeBSD could even consider upgrading to.  Given how importing
a development snapshot worked for Debian, I don't blame FreeBSD for
choosing to wait for official releases.

There is some effort underway to modernize the Kerberos offerings for
FreeBSD, though there is not much concrete to show for it, yet.

-Ben