"Roland C. Dowdeswell" <roland.dowdesw...@twosigma.com> writes:

> In the longer term, we should likely stop using getaddrinfo(3) for names
> obtained from DNS SRV RRs and directly query DNS for them as this matches
> expectations.  That is: you wouldn't expect that if you find

> _kerberos._udp.my.realm       IN SRV 0 0 88 foo.my.realm

> that an entry for foo.my.realm in /etc/hosts would then override the
> DNS for it.

Eh?  I *absolutely* would expect that and would consider it a bug if it
did not.  It is incredibly useful for testing to be able to temporarily
override the IP address of a host in /etc/hosts, and I expect all software
to honor that.

--
Russ Allbery (ea...@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>