On 10/11/2016 12:14 PM, ng0 wrote:
> So technically I do not
> speak on behalf of the GNUnet Project (I think you mean someone employed
> by iniria with this or the current project maintainer).

I just have to briefly chime in on this.

As the GNU maintainer, I am ultimately responsible (to GNU) for
technical decisions (and licensing-compliance issues).  While my voice
may therefore carry some additional weight, I really don't see the
project as having a hierarchy (and as such there is no "speaker"). Most
importantly, if you disagree with my technical choices too strongly, you
can always fork! And if it is about an actual disagreement (and not a
stupid misunderstanding), I would even say you should!

Furthermore, Inria/TUM employees should not be seen as being more
"representative" of the project than (other) volunteers. If there are
any representatives, it's the elected GNUnet e.V. board (which can
obviously speak for the GNUnet e.V., https://gnunet.org/ev).

Regardless of who can speak for the project, speech is also still cheap.
In the end, what matters for GNUnet is code! Code "speaks" louder (and
more clearly) than any philosophical discussion can: Once it is
implemented, it becomes irrevocably part of our reality, if we like it
or not. And then there is no point in arguing about what should be or
could be, because something is.

So to those interested in doing something about abuse,
https://gnunet.org/p4t is one (so far unimplemented) proposal, and
Taler-style payments (https://taler.net/) is another one many of us are
already working on.

However, only such *concrete* proposals for specific issues are useful,
and specifically "abuse" is a term that is way too general (as anyone
can interpret it in any way they see fit) to be addressed in a
meaningful way. (Especially since there usually are two sides to many
related issues: free speech vs. slander, censorship vs. misinformation,
network neutrality vs. traffic optimization, Sybil attacks vs.
unlinkable identities/pseudonyms, Spam vs. campaigning, etc.. But once
we put these issues into specific technical designs, the discussions
usually sharpen to actionable choices with clear consequences.)