In the San Francisco Bay Area the main issue is various government agencies
and their response to what they view as a "permanent or hazardous
structure" vs. a tent or vehicle.

Shelters that are deemed a permanent or hazardous structures are typically
torn down with the pieces and contents getting hauled away in a large
dumpster. Meanwhile tents, trailers and RVs usually aren't viewed by local
or state government agencies as permanent or hazardous structures and often
survive longer.

Hexayurts are awesome, but due to the aforementioned government policies
are probably not good options. Packing up a tent or getting a tow to the
next living spot is much easier than watching your shelter and belongings
being destroyed because one has no way of transporting it.

Speaking of structures, some local cities are using prefabricated
structures to shelter the houseless:
https://youtu.be/XEeyceoiW7A

Speaking of tents, the weatherHYDE, designed and sold by the nonprofit
BillionBricks, is a relatively pricey but quite useful shelter.
https://www.billionbricks.org/weatherhyde