> Cortex wrote:
> > A good tool to use in this case could be "Call stack". Sometimes I had
> > similar problems and thanks to the Call Stack, I've found what pointer
> > pointed to null :)
>
> That works when you pass a null pointer as an argument to the code that
> crashes. In my case, no code of mine, (or address code outside the
> engine for that matter) was on the stack at all.

Perhaps we should start a list of functions that can cause crashes with
invalid input.

I'll start it :} ALERT will crash if you call it before HL is fully set-up,
i.e. calling ALERT in DllMain() will cause this crash. It may be limited to
crashing if you start HL with -game "myMod", though I have not verified
that. Nice thing is that the call stack will NOT display your mod dll, or
any of it's functions, so it's hard to track down. There are other areas
within the SDK where the same effect can be had, although I can't remember
where I first discovered that :{  I guess that ALERT does not check it has a
valid output stream before it tries to write to it.

Jeff "DarthBobo" Fearn.