Something is seriously screwed up. I have both vs 6 and vs .net/7.0 and they
never conflict with one another.

VS 7.1 should use the following for C runtimes
msvcr71.dll
msvcr71d.dll for debug

VS 7.0 should use the following for C runtimes
msvcr70.dll
msbcr70d.dll for debug

As for VS 6.0 I'm not sure as I don't know which of the C runtimes it uses
by default

Only thing I can think of is that something is miss configured and it's looking for msvcr70.dll somewhere other then in the %WINDIR%/System32 folder.

I would uninstall both VS 6.0 and VS .NET and then install only one of them.
Also this doesn't seem to be a problem with the SDK itself so changing SDK
ver won't help (well it wouldn't hurt to try either).