Back in the good ole days of HL1, when you precached a file from the server,
this file was automatically added to some sort of list that when a client
connects, and he does not have the precached file, the server would send it
to him, or have him download it from the sv_downloadurl.

Automatically.

Now, in Source, if we want to add a sound, or a model, using a server side
mod, we have to go make res files for each different map in order for the
resources to be sent to the client.

If the server has a lot of maps, and we decide to add, say, a sound file
that players hear when someone says "doh!", now we have to go to every res
file and add the sound file.

Rather annoying.

What was wrong with precached files automatically being sent to the client
when the server precaches a resource? Why isn't it like this in Source?

If the server precaches a file, chances are the client is going to need it,
right?

- voogru.