Ok well then there's two bugs here:

First, the chat being broken if the user's name doesn't appear in the chat
text.  Let me poor a little marinara sauce over this code.  Ah that's better.
And second, the bug that the case-insensitive name change doesn't propogate
properly.

I reviewed all of the places that wacky string alloc is being used and don't
see any issue with making it case sensitive.  Of course it would all be better
off being normal std::strings, but that's a fix for another day. :)

I've posted patches for both issues on the KI list:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Known_Issues_List#Case_changes_in_player_names_cause_chat_truncation