I don't know it for a fact, but my guess is that these mods are
open-source in the sense that the smallish group of modders would show
you the code they wrote if you asked, or they would post small
interesting bits as tutorials or examples.  It's not open-source in
the sense that it's a large community of coders submitting diffs and
bugfixes back into a large central repository.  That's my hunch
anyway.

Nate