Hey list,

As some of you may know, Alien Swarm uses some VPK files to store some stuff, for some reason it will load files in it over files directly in the folder, which means making your own vpk. Can anyone tell me the advantages of rebuilding a .vpk over and over just to make one line of change in a .res, script or other files.

Additionaly, todays Alien Swarm update broke all Alien Swarm mods, I wonder if getting rid of the .vpk/copying it over to my mod's folder is going to be helpfull to avoid that(probably not since there's still a load of other stuff that's not in the .vpk that it loads from the main game.

It may be just me, but this way of modding seems extremely inneffecient(not talking about the .vpk's), Alien Swarm is constantly getting updated, why not have an Alien Swarm SDK Base so we don't randomly get our mods broken or altered in way we do not want it to be altered just because the main game gets updated.

DLL's are loaded just fine, yet changes in scripts and whatnot being loaded from Alien Swarm are resulting in mods breaking, that's just nasty.
Were the early days of Source modding as bad as this?

TL:DR version:
Todays Alien Swarm update broke mods, in a way that gameplay changes can't be tested, because the camera has become extremely screwed.

-------

I may be rambling some non-sense here, but there do seem to be some new ways to approach Alien Swarm modding, not explained and breaking stuff for everyone, it makes the SDK seem very modding unfriendly towards mods, was the only purpose really just showing off and not get a new influx of modders?

Regards,
Yorg "DuckSauce" Kuijs