The last thing Valve wants to do is get in a war with the mod writers over this.
Every TF2 update will include a patch to the delisting code, and every mod
update will include a patch for that.

I'm a server admin.  I don't know what the tags are.  I don't know how to use
them.  I don't care.
I run a game server for people to have fun.  My server run's Beetles Mod for
administration and reserved slots.
I have custom maps, but not in my regular rotation.  If the server is switched
to one, you'll be able to download it lickity split from my redirect.
I see no need for tags in my case.

If you're running a 24/7 or party mode or omg supar low gravity or whatever
server that can mess with people's stats, achievements, etc., just list it in
the damned server name.

As for tags/stats/etc....

I'd be more than happy to see Valve do away with the custom tags entirely and
just give us more robust filter options, and the option to reset our stats.
Ideally, you'd be able to reset individual stats and achievements, and track
stats over all time, month, week, etc.  Sure, that kind of stat tracking is
more suited to a mod/plugin, but those would only catch data from one
server/group of servers, and you wouldn't see them when loading.

The way Valve handled stats seems to have been shortsighted.  When someone
first gets into TF2, they see their stats at each map load and can see their
progress, and it's interesting.  It encourages you to try out other classes and
do better.  After a few weeks/months, you're basically staring at the same
bars.  Stats don't age well.  A lot of people complain about custom servers
avoiding the tags because they can ruin their stats.  A lot of people want to
reset their stats because of this.  I'm willing to be there are also a lot of
people who would like to reset their stats just because they'd like to get a
picture of how they're doing now that they're experienced with the game.  Stats
would a lot more fun for me if I could reset them (keeping my
unlocks/achievements!) and play for a week or two from a blank slate.

If we can't reset our stats, let us reset our stat displays.  Think of it as an
odometer versus a trip odometer.