"Setup extra servers with no plugins that are locked and just say to go to
the new IP address at x.x.x.x."

I think that would probably be the best solution. It'd be the quickest, most
straightforward way to move the server without relying on using 2 IPs where
one is going to eventually disappear.

While Mike's idea has some merit, it's a lot more work and a lot more
frustrating for an unsuspecting player for what boils down to the same
result.