The network traffic that srcds uses is mostly udp, not tcp, so all the tcp driver offloading stuff is not involved here, for the most part.

Any old network card should do.

Not that the quality of the driver doesn't affect udp traffic. Some drivers can have trouble with large amounts of small udp traffic, or large udp traffic. The game server traffic here is quite modest though. I don't think anything networking related would be involved with the CPU problems (I'm a Cisco/Juniper network engineer and do high-bandwidth supercomputing stuff)

Andrew Armitage wrote:
Maybe the issue is the network hardware? HLDS is very network intensive.

I believe that some cards support checksum offloading and some don't.

--
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = je...@opendreams.net