On Oct 12, 2011, at 8:46 AM, Ole Troan wrote:
> I think we can figure out a way of "pairing" devices. whatever layer that
> ends up being done at.
> it will be much more difficult to protect against hostiles injecting default
> routes, or pretending to be DHCP servers and so on.

I think pairing and general network security are largely the same problem.   Of
course if someone is granted access to the network, they can then inject routes
or pretend to be a DHCP server, but that's not the issue I'm concerned with.
I'm more concerned with the scenario Jim Gettys talked about in a subsequent
message, where a bunch of things clump together and start talking to each other
essentially accidentally.   And of course I'm also somewhat concerned about
attackers, although I think that's probably going to happen less often than
accidental clumping.