In message <4e96ce51.7020...@riw.us>
Russ White writes:

> > Should the applications be insecure and rely on a firewall?
> > (Microsoft advocated this in the 1990s and it has stuck to a large
> > extent).  Or should the network be open and the applications secure?
> >
> > I'm strongly with you on this.  The applications should take care of
> > any security that is necessary *for that application*.
>
> In other words, we should abandon door locks and make certain that
> anything you don't want stolen is individually secured --because only
> the device manufacturer could ever know how valuable it is, and how best
> to prevent it being stolen?

Following that analogy, the door locks built my certain OS vendors are
both flimsy and easily picked.

And we should not enable tftp and point it at the root directory and
hope that some smart network appliance will somehow firewall us.

> In your own words:
>
> > No. No. No.
>
> Security is layered in the physical world, and it should be layered in
> the network, as well. That I argue for a default "domain based" posture,
> where all machines within a given "domain" are all fully reachable, but
> those outside the "domain" are not reachable unless specific actions are
> taken to make them reachable, doesn't mean I don't think individual
> computers need security at all, or that all security should rely on the
> firewall.
>
> "All security must be on the firewall or in the applications" is a false
> dichotomy.

Ideally the firewall should be unnecessary.  In some cases a firewall
is out of the question.  For example, a router cannot rely on sitting
behind a firewall.  That is not to say that packet filters at the
border don't serve as a valuable denial of service protection against
pure traffic based attacks.

Firewalls more often get in the way than do any good.  They also give
a false sense of security which results in the occasional "our LAN is
currently swamped as a result of the latest virus run amuck on our
LAN" coming from IT.

> > Security is not a layer-2 function.  Security is an application
> > function.  You had it right the first time.  Key exchanges and
> > certificates are not layer-2 functions.
>
> Security is an application function, yes. Security is also a network
> function, and security is a machine level function. All of these have a
> role to play in security.
>
> :-)
>
> Russ

The operations staff for the T3-NSFNET had no firewall and was
security audited by some of the best in the field.  Of course we did
not allow the use of a PC with Windows in operations.  No such thing
could sit on the same subnet.

Another division in ANS that relied on a firewall was the only part of
the company that even had to have all computers taken down and
scrubbed before they could be used again.  [Requirement at that time
of having certain government customers].  Every computer had to be
physically removed, rebooted from other media, backed up, reinstalled,
user files restored from a backup prior to the breach, and returned to
the rack or the user's desk.  Users had to fetch any lost work from
the backups and were supposed to insure that no changes where made to
recovered source code.  Sound painful and costly?  It was!

Network protection of insecure host applications is false security.
It takes just one host breach to compromise the whole internal
network.  I've seen it first hand many times.  [not quite first hand
since my computers never relied on a firewall for security but a few
times on the corporate LAN they were sitting on.]

IPSEC also got it wrong.  The application really is the right place
for security.

:-)

btw- Anti-virus software is a cruel hoax.  [that someone makes money on]

:-)