> Should the applications be insecure and rely on a firewall?
> (Microsoft advocated this in the 1990s and it has stuck to a large
> extent).  Or should the network be open and the applications secure?
>
> I'm strongly with you on this.  The applications should take care of
> any security that is necessary *for that application*.

In other words, we should abandon door locks and make certain that
anything you don't want stolen is individually secured --because only
the device manufacturer could ever know how valuable it is, and how best
to prevent it being stolen?

In your own words:

> No. No. No.

Security is layered in the physical world, and it should be layered in
the network, as well. That I argue for a default "domain based" posture,
where all machines within a given "domain" are all fully reachable, but
those outside the "domain" are not reachable unless specific actions are
taken to make them reachable, doesn't mean I don't think individual
computers need security at all, or that all security should rely on the
firewall.

"All security must be on the firewall or in the applications" is a false
dichotomy.

> Security is not a layer-2 function.  Security is an application
> function.  You had it right the first time.  Key exchanges and
> certificates are not layer-2 functions.

Security is an application function, yes. Security is also a network
function, and security is a machine level function. All of these have a
role to play in security.

:-)

Russ