In message <504fe1ea.90...@mtcc.com>
Michael Thomas writes:

> On 09/11/2012 04:53 PM, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> > In message <504f9a0b.1080...@mtcc.com>
> > Michael Thomas writes:
> >
> > If we're using the property that they need to have access to my home
> > wifi as proof the device is "mine" rather than "somebody else's", then
> > lets stop right now with the posture that what we're doing is
> > "zeroconf" because configuring a wifi password is most certainly not
> > "zeroconf".
> > We had a similar discussion before and I pointed out that for security
> > some form of exchange of keys or certificates was needed.
>
> Here is usually where IETF usually wraps around the axle. I'm not
> saying that "has my wifi password, therefore is allowed" is bad, I'm
> just saying that it's not zeroconf. We need to be extremely careful
> that the best is the enemy of the good. At the point that we're talking
> about certs we've almost certainly wandered into something well
> beyond "littleconf". If we can get by with "has my wifi password"
> or similar, we're still probably on track. Or maybe ssh-like leap of
> faith kinds of bare public key enrollment is ok.

"keys or certificates" would include public/private key pairs like the
rsa or dsa keys that ssh uses.

> In any case, my larger point is that "littleconf" might also involve having
> to give a name to some of my devices so that I don't have to remember
> that megacorp-light-switch-1279385xxc7 is the front room mood lighting
> in addition to giving it my wifi password for the home automation SSID.
>
> Mike

And my SIP phone has a serial number for a host name.  One problem is
that some clueless programmers have allowed any characters to be
entered into the host name string, so DHCP can return a hostname that
has more than just DNS allowed characters.  I'm not sure %20 and other
substitutes legal in URLs are legal in hostnames.  I don't think so.

Its OK to have "Bill's Laptop" in the leases file, but you can't put
that into a DNS hostname and "Bill T. Cat's Laptop" would be worse
because of the dot.  But you might get this from DHCP.

Maybe a good start for homenet is recommendations on what should be
setable on any home device and constraints (hostnames within valid DNS
character set being one example).  Allowing a fixed address is another
(my SIP phone DNS client is a bit broken and doesn't always renew
before the lease expires and then locks up if the address changes).
Supporting IPv6 is yet another.

Curtis