On Sep 11, 2012, at 11:07 , Evan Hunt <e...@isc.org> wrote:

> This does raise a point, though:  Dynamic DNS doesn't have an expiration
> mechanism.  [...] My home zone is cluttered up with the names of a couple of
> dozen laptops and ipods belonging to neighbors and visitors over the past
> year.  [...]

I recommend reading section 5 of "Understanding Apple's Back-to-My-Mac Service"
[RFC 6281], which gives a brief summary of how this problem is effectively and
reliably managed in that system.  There you will find references to the
following truly under-loved technical specifications:

  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sekar-dns-ul>
  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sekar-dns-llq>

Maybe HOMENET could push for these to be taken up as IETF work items?

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
member of technical staff, core os networking