In message <c25cd513-a151-44e2-b6d3-7693ebbb8...@apple.com>
james woodyatt writes:

> On Sep 11, 2012, at 11:07 , Evan Hunt <e...@isc.org> wrote:
> >
> > This does raise a point, though:  Dynamic DNS doesn't have an expiration
> > mechanism.  [...] My home zone is cluttered up with the names of a couple
> > of dozen laptops and ipods belonging to neighbors and visitors over the
> > past year.  [...]
>
> I recommend reading section 5 of "Understanding Apple's Back-to-My-Mac
> Service" [RFC 6281], which gives a brief summary of how this problem
> is effectively and reliably managed in that system.  There you will
> find references to the following truly under-loved technical
> specifications:
>
>   <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sekar-dns-ul>
>   <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sekar-dns-llq>
>
> Maybe HOMENET could push for these to be taken up as IETF work items?
> --
> james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
> member of technical staff, core os networking

Or maybe not.

The situation right now is multiple name and service discovery
protocols for Window PC, multiple name and service discovery protocols
for Apple, and multiple name and service discovery protocols for Linux
and very limited intersection between them, plus they all only work on
a single subnet and therefore are useless in anything but homes and
the most tiny soho or enterprise.

If dynDNS doesn't delete with the lease expire, that just a bug.

Curtis