On 01 Oct 2012, at 14:33, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/10/2012 08:32, Damien Saucez wrote:
>> Curtis,
>>
>> Thank you for the comments.
>>
>> Our target in this document is to raise the question of multihoming
>> in personal and/or small/medium enterprise networks, so for now
>> we were not looking at the mobile device such as smartphones
>> connected to both 4g and wifi (for this, the multihoming solution
>> must be implemented directly on the device). We believe that
>> SOHO would be interested being multihomed but can't afford the
>> cost of operating multihoming themselves.
>
> That's a good description of why the IETF designed SHIM6, which requires
> no cooperation from any router or ISP and scales well, should cost little
> or nothing, and will work for mobile devices too, on two conditions
>
> 1. It becomes widely deployed
> 2. Firewalls allow the SHIM6 extension header.
>
> I don't believe that this is really a topic for homenet, however.

Well, I don't really like shim6 in this situation because it requires
every host to implement shim6 (is shim6 in a sensor or in an access
controller reasonable?). Also  it is not straightforward with shim6 how
to allow one to manage the devices in its network. In other words,
how to outsource traffic control if shim6 is used? If I remember well
the discussion a few years ago in shim6, the lack of easy
management was sometime pinpointed.

Damien Saucez