I have read the draft and don't see how it advances Homenet.

IMHO If an MSP wants to deploy some tunnel brokers on the Internet to terminate what boils down to a pair of GRE tunnels, they can do so without the IETF providing any new standards work, and it'll all work just fine.

I'd prefer it if people concentrated on http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-multihoming-without-ipv6nat-04.txt

regards,
RayH

Damien Saucez wrote:
Curtis,

Thank you for the comments.

Our target in this document is to raise the question of multihoming
in personal and/or small/medium enterprise networks, so for now
we were not looking at the mobile device such as smartphones
connected to both 4g and wifi (for this, the multihoming solution
must be implemented directly on the device). We believe that
SOHO would be interested being multihomed but can't afford the
cost of operating multihoming themselves. This is why we suggest
the MSP which is a way to outsource multihoming complexity.

Now, let's go to the technical part. We didn't want to provide
solution so far but we had in mind the following:

1. traffic is tunnelled between the network and the MSP.

2. addresses assigned to devices in the network belong to
the MSP (or at least are advertised by the MSP in BGP) and
then they never change.

3. the MSP box has one "wire" (possibly vie wifi or 3/4G) per
ISP to which the network is connected and each NIC connected
to this "wire" receives addresses dynamically.

Putting these three points together, it means that the gw are
invisible to the devices in the network, that addresses of devices
never change during communications and that traffic always go
through the MSP (even though it is possible to avoid this).

I agree that there is no such thing as the MSP so far, but there
is a bunch of very big service providers that exist today, that are
peering with virtually every significant network and that would
certainly be happy to be the "first hop" for all the communications.

Thank you,

Damien Saucez