On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Toerless Eckert wrote:

That's because there has been no requirement to do so, most of the time.
Basically a device has been sold with a certain amount of features, and
this featureset hasn't changed over time, thus there is no need to
future-proof. I see this changing.

What are the indicators you see ?

I see people starting to talk about putting sandboxed applications on the HGW:s, so you don't need a new box for each vendor application. I also (in NDA talks with some HW vendors) see mobile SoCs trickling down into the router space and these have very different performance numbers compared to the current low-performance devices.

I also see operators wanting to deploy new services quicker than they can today when in the current HGW incarnations most of the functonality is set at initial procurement time and then not much more happens over the 5+ year lifetime of the device.

How many commercial vendors are really selling boxes with OpenWRT (no homenet) ? To me, OpenWRT (without homenet) has already a lot of benefits over those vendor specific SW on home routers, but seemingly that hasn't helped much to proliferate OpenWRT into commercial offerings.

I know commercial offerings that use OpenWRT. Unfortunately they are usually tied to the SoC vendor kernel because of device-specific "board support packages". I see these vendors putting pressure on the SoC manufacturers to stop doing this, because if you want to deploy new services but you're locked to a Linux 3.2 kernel because otherwise your packet accelerator won't work, this is a pain point.

So just the way it was really hard to buy "linux compatible" hardware in the 90ties (been there, felt the pain, had to buy 3c509), this is less of a problem today, and what I see is that more and more operators want to get "deeper" into their HGWs and control the software development themselves over time. See Free.fr for instance. In the project I am, we're not going to choose a device were we don't have significant control and can roll out own images and put on the HGWs.

Just having looked for a good router for homenet, i am not really happy yet with the choices available. Especially because i'd like to also run a bit more than just basic routing. >= 32MByte memory, >= 16MByte flash for example. Still seems to be a very limited set of choices.

Absolutely. Most devices sold today both to operators and end-users are "sell and forget". I am saying I am seeing this trend changing, albeit slowly.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se